According to several campaign insiders, Herman Cain told aides early today that he's "reassessing his campaign," one day after a businesswoman said she had been conducting a 13-year extramarital affair with Cain, right up until the time he announced his presidential candidacy.
Cain immediately denied the affair Monday, following a string of previous denials of accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior with a few women.
In an early morning conference call with his senior staff, lasting approximately 10 minutes, Cain reportedly said that he would continue with all of his scheduled public events for this week, but he "would review the campaign's strategy over the next several days."
"He said obviously it's taken an emotional toll on his family, but he's moving ahead with the campaign," said Steve Grubbs, Cain's Iowa campaign chairman. "He said they will be reassessing the campaign."
Another campaign staffer, speaking anonymously with the Associated Press, said Cain was "examining the impact of the newest allegations."