The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has slapped a Lewiston company with a fine in the wake of a November 2012 natural gas explosion that one eyewitness called a "roaring fireball," shooting flames 100 feet into the air. Workers for the company, M.L. Albright and Sons, hit a 5-inch, high pressure gas line.
This morning's Lewiston Tribune reports that the company was fined after OSHA found that M.L. Albright and Sons "did not anticipate the change in line depth and utilize hand digging or another safe means of locating an existing natural gas line prior to striking it with an excavator bucket."
The Tribune reports that an initial fine of $4,900 was reduced to $2,450 and that the company has already paid half of the penalty.
The Tribune reports that M.L. Albright and Sons was also cited for not providing protective equipment to its employees at no cost. There was no fine associated with that citation.