Cleaning out the basement can usually yield a wide spectrum from gems to junk, but when owners of a building in downtown Twin Falls came upon a suspicious gallon-sized bottle July 13, they knew they needed some help.
This morning's Twin Falls Times-News reports that emergency responders determined that the bottle was filled with mercury cyanide. The chemical was in its original container and wasn't leaking.
Twin Falls fire and police departments turned to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality, but the situation was deemed "a level one incident," according to the Times-News, meaning it could be handled by local agencies.
Owners were told to lock the building up tight and have a private contractor secure and dispose of the bottle.
An auto shop moved out of the building's main floor years ago and according to the building owners no tenants live upstairs, leaving the structure currently vacant.