From Karachi and Manila to Paris and New York, couples around the world celebrated Valentine's Day on Friday.
Some exchanged gifts or tied the knot, while others travelled to Rome to hear the Pope's advice on love and marriage.
Others saw the special day as an opportunity to stage kissing protests against Russia's draconian anti-gay laws.
We've compiled a snapshot of how people around the planet celebrated that thing called love.
- A man and a woman ride a motorbike past a street vendor selling Valentine's Day balloons in Karachi, Pakistan, on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Against a backdrop of white, red and pink roses, Veronica Vizcaino and Gustavo Espinal tie the knot on the 58th floor of the Empire State Building in New York on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Thousands of engaged couples from around the world gathered in St. Peter's Square in Vatican City on Feb. 14, 2014, for a meeting with Pope Francis, who told them that "living together is an art, a patient, beautiful and fascinating journey." He said: "Don’t build your house on the sand of sentiments that come and go, but on the rock of real love."
- A young couple on their motorbike after buying a Valentine's Day gift from a street stall in the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Newly-wed couples release heart-shaped balloons during a mass wedding ceremony on Valentine's Day in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur on Feb. 14, 2014.
- A man takes a photo of a red heart in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Taoist priests hold a special ceremony for couples on Valentine's Day at Wong Tai Sin temple in Hong Kong. Valentine's Day this year falls on the same day as the Chinese Lantern Festival, which marks the end of the lunar new year period.
- A couple kiss during an event to celebrate Valentine's Day in New Taipei City, Taiwan, on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Hundreds of couples take part in a free mass wedding in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, on Feb. 14, 2014.
- Gay and lesbian activists stage a Valentine's Day kissing protest in Beijing on Feb. 14, 2014. The demonstration was against Russia's controversial anti-gay laws.