Syrian Activists Report Scores Dead in Homs Massacre 

Photos of mutilated corpses of women and children in Karm el-Zeytoun were posted online hours after UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan departed Damascus empty-handed.

Massacre photo posted to Facebook March 3, 2012

Facebook

Massacre photo posted to Facebook March 3, 2012

Syrian activists on Sunday reported a "massacre" in the formerly rebel-held Homs neighborhood of Karm el-Zeytoun. Photos posted online by activists show children with gaping head wounds. (WARNING: Extremely graphic images.) Reuters reported that both the government and activists acknowledged the killings were done "in cold blood," but disputed who was responsible.

The Associated Press reported that activists blamed the attacks on "shabiha," a word used to describe armed militias. Syrian government media acknowledged the killings but blamed them on "terrorists" who hope to "bring international condemnation to the regime" in advance of a United Nations Security Council meeting today. Hadi Abdullah, an activists, said "Syrian forces and thugs" were responsible, according to CNN.

Different activist groups gave different counts of the dead, the AP said. The Local Coordination Committee, an activist group, pegged Monday's dead count at 108, with 70 dead in Homs, 45 of which it attributed to the massacre.

Today, US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will meet in New York at a UN Security Council meeting reviewing the Arab Spring so far. The AP said "much attention" will be paid to a private meeting between the two diplomats, who have previously sparred over efforts to end Syria's violence.

Hours before the alleged massacre, Kofi Annan, the joint UN-Arab League envoy to Syria, left Damascus without any agreement to end the violence. Opposition leaders and president Bashar al-Assad ruled out a ceasefire, the BBC reported.

Pin It
Favorite

Tags: , ,

Comments


Comments are closed.

More by Tom Fitzsimons, GlobalPost

Calendar

Latest in World

  • ISIS Claims Responsibility for New Year's Attack on Turkish Nightclub

    ISIS Claims Responsibility for New Year's Attack on Turkish Nightclub

    The shooting took place just 75 minutes into 2017 after a bloody year in Turkey in which hundreds of people were killed in violence blamed on both ISIS jihadists and Kurdish militants.
    • Jan 2, 2017
  • The Planet Welcomes 2017

    The Planet Welcomes 2017

    "My encouragement to everyone is to enjoy New Year's Eve ... in the knowledge that police are doing everything they can to keep us safe."
    • Dec 31, 2016
  • The Long List of Alleged Activities by Russian Spies

    The Long List of Alleged Activities by Russian Spies

    Following US accusations that Russian spies tipped the vote in President-elect Donald Trump's favor — by stealing Democratic Party information — here are some of the most brazen operations in the West.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • More »

© 2017 Boise Weekly

Website powered by Foundation