Whatever Happened to Margaret? The Final Days of the Iconic Owner of Boise's Hollywood Market 

Mystery, legal questions surround the last days of Margaret Lawrence

Page 3 of 3

Haroian, Weber and all of Margaret's friends were told that Boise Behavior did not allow visitors except for a "restricted list." In spite of their requests, friends were not able to see Margaret until approximately a week and a half later, when she was transferred to the Willow Park assisted living facility. By then, Debbie Hansen had Margaret's personal items and some furniture moved over to the nursing home, as well as Danny.

"Yes, Danny and Margaret were living together again, but this time at the home," said Haroian. "But at last, we could see her, and talk to her again."

Visits to Margaret at Willow Park were closely monitored. While she could receive visitors, an aide would never be further than a few feet away.

"The first thing I noticed was that they weren't letting her read the newspaper," said Haroian. "Well, anyone who knows Margaret knows that the news was a lifeline for her. But get a load of this: They told me that because of some injections that they were administering, her eyesight was failing and she couldn't read that well anymore. That was cruel."

Weber said Margaret's stay at Willow Park did not go well.

"I would get calls in the middle of the night," he said. "Once it was 2 in the morning, and Danny said, 'Come and get my mom. She wants out.' He even ended up calling the police, but of course, they couldn't do anything."

Reed Hansen eventually began cutting back Margaret's visits.

"Here's what the issue was," Hansen said. "Anytime Margaret would talk to anybody, it was a different story. There were people who were trying to push her one way or another and some people were trying to take advantage of her financially."

When asked if any of the visitors had a legal claim to Margaret's estate, Hansen said no.

"I can guarantee that they're not in the will," he said.

On June 10 while visiting Margaret at Willow Park, Vawter said she was encouraged by the home's administrator and Debbie Hansen to escort Margaret over to the home's dementia ward.

"I said, 'Why would I do that?' That was clearly not Margaret's wish," said Vawter. "In fact, Margaret would hold me close in a hug and whisper in my ear, 'Please get me a lawyer. Get me some help.'"

Vawter said she learned later that day, that Margaret had been transferred back to the Boise Behavior psychiatric facility for "observation," where once again visits would be restricted.

Haroian said he repeatedly tried to call Debbie Hansen to ask about Margaret's status. "I asked her, 'What is your goal here?'" said Haroian. "And she said, 'To have Margaret and Danny live happily ever after.'"

Margaret's physical condition was deteriorating. Less than a week later, she was admitted to St. Luke's.

"She really should have been back home," said Derr. "Her own prediction was coming true."

Derr said it was equally disappointing that friends could not see her."Which was a cruel thing, I think," he said.

When BW asked Derr to comment on how the law allowed the situation to progress the way it did, he said, "I could only surmise, and I hesitate to do that."

Margaret's obituary listed natural causes as the official reason of her passing, but friends said they think that she was vulnerable to illness and viruses in her multiple transfers, to Boise Behavior to Willow Park back to Boise Behavior, and finally to St. Luke's.

Hansen said he would not comment, on the record, regarding Margaret's cause of death, saying only there was "a multi-system failure."

Since his mother's death on June 22, Danny has decided that he would like to remain living at Willow Park. On June 25, he attended the candlelight vigil outside the store, and on June 29, he walked alongside his mother's casket at a funeral service at the Warm Springs LDS chapel before her burial at Morris Hill Cemetery.

Sitting near the back of the chapel were Haroian, Vawter and Weber. They listened to the music and a couple of brief remembrances during the service. They had few words but plenty of tears. They said they knew what most people in the chapel didn't know: Margaret's final days weren't in keeping with her wishes.

Pin It

Comments (22)

Showing 1-22 of 22


Comments are closed.


Latest in Features

© 2017 Boise Weekly

Website powered by Foundation