Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Press: Idaho Girl Latest Victim of Ingesting Grill Brush Wire

Posted By on Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The family of an Idaho girl who ingested a wire bristle while eating some salmon initially thought that her minor medical emergency was "just a fluke." But this morning's Coeur d'Alene Press reports that the April 1 incident involving the high school girl was just the latest in a string of national incidents where people have been rushed to emergency rooms after swallowing wire bristles from barbecue grill brushes that had somehow got lodged into food.

A team of Kootenai Health medical staff dislodged the 1-inch wire stuck in the Coeur d'Alene girl's throat, averting a procedure where she would have been anesthetized.

Following the incident, the girl's family did some research and found that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had recently brought the risk to the attention of the nation's physicians. Additionally, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer of New York has called for a federal review of grill brush safety in light of the news.

The Press reports that the girl's father "feels horrible" following the barbecue incident.

"He's been barbecuing forever, and we had no idea," said the girl's mother.

Tags: ,

Pin It


Comments are closed.

Join the conversation at facebook.com/boiseweekly
or send letters to editor@boiseweekly.com.

© 2018 Boise Weekly

Website powered by Foundation