A fire broke out at The Knitting Factory in the BoDo area of downtown Boise early Tuesday evening. At approximately 6 p.m., the Boise Fire Department responded to a blaze in the mezzanine between the first and second floors of the music venue, which left several adjacent businesses with smoke damage and without power. Three people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but were released. As of Wednesday morning, crews continued to investigate the cause of the fire and restore electricity to nearby businesses.
Still on scene, three civilians treated for smoke inhalation and released. The cause is not known. The fire is not aggressive and no injuries. pic.twitter.com/Xa7aAqd3W5
The Missoula Independent is no more. In a Sept. 11 tweet, Indie staffer Derek Brouwer released the email he'd received from the paper's owner, Lee Enterprises, announcing the closure. All web traffic to the Independent's website has been redirected to The Missoulian, a daily paper that is also owned by Lee Enterprises. A demonstration against the closure at the offices of the independent weekly newspaper attracted approximately 75 people who said they disagreed with Lee's decision to shutter the paper, though representatives of Lee said the Independent had consistently lost money.
Hurricane Florence has shifted course. Now, meteorologists say the Category 4 storm will affect a broader section of the Eastern Seaboard than they previously expected, according to The New York Times. They now predict the storm will stall just offshore of the Carolinas, dropping more than 20 inches of rain on already flood-prone areas and battering the shore with massive waves. Meanwhile, The Times also reports that a document has surfaced showing that the Department of Homeland Security shifted nearly $10 million in Federal Emergency Management Agency funds to Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pay for detention and removal operations. The transfer of funds took place in June at the beginning of hurricane season.
Controversy continues to swirl around the Catholic Church as it grapples with a massive sex abuse scandal. On Sept. 6, the office of the New York Attorney General announced it had issued subpoenas to every Catholic diocese in the state after more than 300 priests were accused of sexually abusing children over approximately 70 years. Meanwhile, in a move without precedent, Pope Francis has called on bishops around the world to convene in Rome in February to address the issue, and a letter issued to attorneys general around the country, the Catholic League said it supports investigations into the sexual abuse of children by priests—just as long as they also investigate "all other religions, private non-sectarian institutions, and public sector entities."
"...It smacks of bigotry to single out the Catholic Church when investigating the sexual abuse of minors: We don't own this problem. Indeed, there is less of a problem today with this issue in the Catholic Church than in any societal institution, religious or secular."