The Long Goodbye: An Idaho Family Fights to Learn the Truth About Their Daughter's Death 

What Happened to Kelsey Anderson?

Page 2 of 2

"The town of Orofino was in shock and we had the services scheduled for June 18. We had a lot of young kids who needed to get over this," said Sue. "But they kept telling us that they needed to keep Kelsey's body. And Kelsey's body didn't arrive at the Seattle airport until June 21 and she got here on June 22."

The Andersons were still in shock. They had only put their daughter on a plane to Guam on Jan. 2, 2011, following an extended Christmas break in Orofino.

"When she graduated from high school in 2010, she said she wanted to see a bit of the world so she talked to an Air Force recruiter. She did magnificently at basic training in San Antonio, and when she graduated from boot camp, she was the proudest person you've ever seen," said Sue. "We had a wonderful Christmas together and she left for Guam on Jan. 2."

The Andersons said they communicated regularly with Kelsey, via email and phone calls, during her five months in Guam.

"I spoke to her officer in command and she said, 'If everyone was like Kelsey, we wouldn't have any problems in the service,'" said Sue. "They even determined that she was a candidate to become a Command Post specialist. The Air Force even sent agents here to Orofino to interview all of her family and friends so that she would be eligible for top clearance, but that never happened."

The Andersons said they pieced together a scenario surrounding their daughter's death through a series of conversations with USAF Special Agent Jason Larsen and Maj. Sarah Babbitt, Kelsey's unit commander.

"Sometimes they wouldn't tell me until I was hysterical," said Sue.

At approximately 6:30 a.m., on June 9, 2011, Kelsey was wrapping up an overnight security shift, which included her check of a building known only as Hangar No. 1, which houses B-2 bombers, and which is supposed to be staffed by two security officers. Kelsey reportedly requested, via radio, to go to the bathroom on an upper floor of the hangar. A short time later, Kelsey was discovered slumped in a bathroom stall with a gunshot wound to the head. The stall had been locked.

The Andersons say that in a conversation following the incident, Larsen told them "there was no or very little gun residue" on Kelsey's hand and that her service pistol had been sent to the Office of Special Investigations for ballistic testing. Kelsey's personal belongings, including her smartphone and laptop, were also taken as evidence.

For the next several months, the Andersons repeatedly called officials in Guam for more information, but were told that the investigation was still pending and that there was little to be shared.

On Sept. 24, 2011, some of Kelsey's belongings, including her clothes, shoes and makeup, were delivered to the Andersons' Orofino home, but her phone, laptop, wallet, driver's license, debit and credit cards were missing. When they inquired about the missing items, the Andersons said they were told that the remaining items would be returned after the case was closed by OSI.

The Andersons continued to call Guam for answers but were told either there was nothing that anyone could tell them or that the investigation was still under way. It wasn't until July 2012 that the Andersons were finally notified that Kelsey's smartphone, laptop and wallet would be sent back to Idaho. They were to be shipped to Mountain Home Air Force Base, southeast of Boise, and driven up to Orofino.

"I said, 'No, this time we'll come get it.' But they said, 'We don't want you on the base.' They told us to meet them outside of the base," said Chris. "So two plainclothes, armed guys show up in a Walmart parking lot outside of the Mountain Home Air Force Base, hand me a box, have me sign a piece of paper and drive off."

When they got home, the Andersons discovered that the smartphone had been locked and remains locked to this day. Kelsey's laptop had "very few files on it," according to Sue, "And the only photographs left were these tiny little images that you could never enlarge. It just doesn't look right."

The Andersons Find Two Advocates

Through much of their frustration, the Andersons said they found an advocate and friend in Bernie Fritz, a casualty assistance representative at Fairchild Air Force Base near Spokane, Wash.

"When the Air Force loses a member, there are certain reporting and notification procedures that have to be followed," said Fritz. "It's my job that they be done properly and the notification to the family is done timely, humanely and expeditiously."

Fritz was very reluctant to talk to Boise Weekly.

"You can ask your questions; that doesn't mean I'll answer," he said.

But the Andersons said Fritz stepped in where most Air Force personnel didn't in trying to get some answers regarding Kelsey's death.

"I'm fumbling around in the dark, trying to get a copy of the report [on Kelsey's death] for the Andersons," said Fritz. "Thus far, we've not been very successful."

Chris told BW that he learned, through Fritz, that the investigative file on Kelsey's death has been completed and is sitting somewhere in the OSI headquarters in Quantico, Va.

"We know that the case file was finally closed on May 22, 2012. Bernie learned that there are supposedly 282 files and Kelsey's file is No. 82," said Chris. "What does that mean? No. 82? Does that mean another year until we get it? Another five years?"

Fritz told BW that Kelsey's file was indeed a part of "a specific number of files" in Quantico.

"They handle the sequence [of the files] in the order they received them," he said. "I'm not part of the decision-making process. I'm attempting to be a conduit for information. You'll have to excuse me if I can't get into hard specifics. The Andersons are good folks. They suffered a horrible tragedy. There's nothing anybody can do to make it right, but if they had that report, at least they could know what happened. If there was some methodology to kick that loose and hand them the report, I would have done that a long time ago."

The man who ultimately may kick things loose is attorney Matt Crotty.

"Plus, Matt's a military man," said Sue.

Following five years in active duty, serving in different U.S. Army assignments after 9/11, Crotty is currently a lieutenant colonel in the Washington Army National Guard.

"I've been in war zones and, unfortunately, I've been in units where people have died. But in my experience, the military is usually forthcoming," Crotty told BW. "That's why this sounded so odd."

The Andersons filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Air Force in August 2012, asking for a copy of their daughter's records, including the autopsy. But similar to their other requests for help, they received no response. That's when they retained Crotty.

"When the Air Force didn't respond, we could go ahead and sue them flat-out or we could appeal one more time, which I thought would be the right thing to do," said Crotty. "We filed an appeal on May 16. The government is supposed to respond to that within 20 business days. So we gave them that much time, and then some. But still, no response. No phone call, no email, nothing."

Crotty's next legal maneuver was the biggest shoe to drop in the case of Kelsey Anderson. Crotty filed a lawsuit June 17, accusing the United States government--and in particular, the U.S. Air Force--with "repeated failures to comply with the Freedom of Information Act." The government has 30 days to respond in a court motion.

"How tough a court battle lies ahead? It depends how nasty the Air Force wants to be," Crotty told BW. "We think it is pretty cut and dry. They didn't do what they were supposed to do in the time they were supposed to do it."

And if the Air Force argues that its administrative backlog is a valid excuse for failing to produce Kelsey's records, Crotty will be quick to point out that a federal court in Illinois ruled in 2002 that a backlog is not acceptable in providing a report that has already been completed.

Permanent Change of Station

The Andersons told BW that they felt they had little recourse other than to sue the federal government to get the truth. Quite simply, the trail of information went cold, particularly around Guam.

"A lot of people from Guam sent condolences to our family, but they said they were told not to talk to us," said Sue. "And they told Chris that if he tried to go over there, they wouldn't let him on the base."

As BW tried to track down the key players who would presumably know the truth about what happened to Kelsey Anderson, we were repeatedly told that they had been reassigned.

"Sir, he's PCS," Guam OSI Agent P.J. Davis told BW when we inquired about Agent Jason Larsen, the lead OSI investigator into the incident. "PCS means permanent change of station."

And when we tried to track down USAF Maj. Sarah Babbitt, Kelsey's unit commander, we were told, again, that she had been reassigned away from Guam.

"I'd love to help you but I'm going to have to forward you to our office in Quantico," said Davis.

But officials in Quantico aren't talking either, other than to say that the Andersons could contact them directly with their questions or concerns--which is what they've tried to do for the better part of two years.

"You really shouldn't have to sue them to do this, but that's what it's come to," said Chris. "Why would the government want to keep something away from a family? We have to have closure on this. And what we just don't understand is that they put themselves above the law."

Sue said she wasn't "100 percent sure that Kelsey committed suicide on June 9, 2011. But if they can show me something that convinces me, I'll accept that. I think somebody killed her or she killed herself over something horrible. And besides, we can't be the only people in America who are going through something like this. They just can't keep doing this. Maybe we can stop it."

Pin It

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5


Comments are closed.

© 2019 Boise Weekly

Website powered by Foundation